Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday, March 25

Families of some of the Newtown victims traveled Friday to Hartford to speak with legislators. Some who spoke with reporters appeared to be unfazed by the pace of the ongoing negotiations.
A ban on high-capacity magazines has become a sticking point in negotiations between legislative leaders, who are struggling with whether to endorse an outright ban or to allow gun owners to keep the magazines they’ve already purchased.
Po Murray, of the Newtown Action Alliance, said they don’t believe anyone except for military personnel or police should be allowed to have magazines with more than 10 bullets.
She said they learned 152 shots were fired in five minutes on that “dreadful day.”
Murry added “The need to exchange an empty magazine for a loaded one is the only reason many children from Ms. Soto’s class were able to escape with their lives,”
Ron Pinciaro, executive director of Connecticut Against Gun Violence, said a ban on magazines is necessary because, unlike a gun, they can’t be traced and there would be no way to differentiate between those purchased before the ban and those bought after the ban.
Legislative leaders received a briefing Friday from state prosecutors conducting the investigation into the shooting.
The Connecticut Correction Department’s early inmate release program was both praised and panned Friday as the Malloy administration touted its benefits and critics forced a hearing on legislation to eliminate it entirely.
The “Risk Reduction Credit” program was passed by the legislature in 2011 and allows the department to award inmates credits that can reduce their prison sentence by a maximum of five days a month.
The Malloy administration says inmates earn credits by participating in programs designed to ease their transitions back into society and reduce the likelihood they will commit another crime.
However, Republicans argue that the credits should not be available to inmates convicted of violent offenses.
The Governor has supported legislation that would statutorily require that violent offenders serve at least 85 percent of their sentences before being released from prison. He said that’s been the case already.
On Long island, plans for a proposed green energy park will be pitched to the public at tonight’s Greenport Village board meeting at the Third Street Firehouse. The meeting was scheduled for 6pm
The plan, as described by Mayor David Nyce in January would harness wind, solar, and, possibly, tidal energy.
The green energy park would be built on the approximately nine acres of Village owned land at Clark’s Beach on Long Island Sound. The Mayor says that it would make the village energy independent.
Greenport operates its own electric company. Currently 75 percent of its energy usage comes from a Niagra Mohawk Power Corp. hydroelectric plant in Niagra Falls. The remaining 25 percent is purchased on the open market at a higher rate. That 25 percent, according to the mayor, constitutes 80 percent of a user’s energy bill.
The proposed facility would produce from 2 to 4 megawatts of power when demand exceeds that produced by the hydroelectric plant.
If approved, grants would be pursued. to fund the project.

An internal investigation by the Southamton Town Police into the operation of the now defunct Street Crimes unit may be held up due to missing money and drugs tagged as evidence according to and Patch.
The evidence had been stored in a secure room at police headquarters and was originally discovered by former Police Chief William Wilson.
Present Chief Robert Pearce asked to see the evidence for a new investigation
Wilson, who stepped down in November after 18 months on the job, recently told Patch that a police officer, Eric Sickles, whose job it was to conduct drug investigations, became addicted to prescription painkillers himself, under the noses of his supervisors.
The Suffolk County district attorney’s office initiated a review of more than 100 cases conducted by the Street Crimes Unit while Sickles was purportedly addicted. This led to the reversal of some convicted drug offenders sentences and to law suits brought against Southampton Town and its police officials by three of those convicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment